Mushrooms & Lentils
October 12, 2011 § Leave a comment
I wasn’t sure what to call it.
But I’ve found another recipe to add to the slow carb collection.
Waking up peckish, I scoffed down 2 hardboiled eggs and thought about making a little something more. Since I had all of the ingredients on hand, I decided to make up a batch and save the extra for work lunches. I’ll probably pair this with sliced beef steak and salsa verde or chimichurri sauce.
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 8 button mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups red lentils, washed and drained
- 6 cups mushroom broth, sugar-free
- 2 tbsp basil, chopped fine
- Coarse black pepper, to taste
- Salt, to taste
- Slice of lemon
- Melt a small knob of butter in a saucepan and brown the onions and garlic and then saute the mushrooms
- Stir in the lentils and fry for about a minute
- Add the broth and allow to simmer for 20-25 minutes or until the lentils are tender
- Remove from the heat and stir in the basil, letting it wilt into the dish
I find that a squeeze of lemon juice over it to finish off really brings out the flavour of the red lentils. Use the best broth you can afford, or at least something you like, as that will be the main flavouring of this dish.